“Willful and repeated harm inflicted up others through the use of computers, cell phones, and other electronic devices.”
- Willful The behavior has to be deliberate, not accidental
- Repeated Bullying reflects a pattern of behavior, not just one incident
- Harm The target must perceive that harm has been inflicted
- Computers, cell phones and other electronic devices: This is what differentiates cyberbullying from traditional bullying
The Dangers of Cyberbullying
- It can be anonymous.
- It is VIRAL. Like any disease it can spread insidiously to large groups of people.
- It is much easier to be mean and cruel using technology.
- Youths do not understand the destructive consequences.
-Cyberbullying Research Center
How Cyberbullying is Experienced
- Receiving an email with negative content
- Instant messaging with what is negative
- A negative post on a social networking site
- Making “fun” of someone in a chat room
- Harmful post on a WEB site
- Undesirable and/or untrue texting
- Production of YouTube specifically to harm another